Skip to main content

The card that conquered the ice storm


I'm still waiting to see if the ice storm will knock out the power. But if that does happen I can take small solace in the fact that it couldn't knock out the mail carrier.

I didn't expect to get any mail at all today. I looked at the sidewalks. I looked at my walkway and the treacherous steps to my mailbox. There was no way anyone was crazy enough to travel through that.

So I was shocked when I saw an envelope sticking out of the mailbox this afternoon.

It was from The Junior Junkie. A single card. Untouched by the frozen ice descending from above.

Even better that it was a 1953 Topps Brooklyn Dodger. But I would expect nothing else from a card of that quality. There's no way a 1990 Donruss card is making it through that weather.

So many thanks to J.J./T.J. for putting a smile on my face while I was going through my stash of batteries and firewood.

And many thanks to the mail carrier who I'm sure fell 157 times while attempting to deliver envelopes like these.

I guess that means I can't use "but there's an ice storm" as an excuse not to go into work tonight.

Comments

Zayden said…
We are definitely getting hit pretty hard here in Northern NY. I have not lost power yet either fortunately!
Roy-Z said…
Central NY is clean. No ice, and today took away the rest of the snow. Some ice warnings through the Mohawk Valley.
night owl said…
Power was out for 9 1/2 hours starting at 6 a.m. Just came back on. Hopefully it stays on although it's an ice war zone out there so trees and wires aren't done doing their thing.