Skip to main content

Talk talk


Just a quick bit of curiosity today.

I got a package from Lifetime Topps not too long ago. It came with a few nice items, but when it came down to the cards that I was most interested in, those could be broken down into pairs.


A pair of reds.



A pair of greens.

(Suddenly I'm aware of all the Christmas shopping yet to be done).


And a pair of these Baseball Talk cards.

These have intrigued me for a long time. I already have the Orel Hershiser Baseball Talk card, but I have never played the reverse side, which resembles a record, because I don't have the player.

These came out in 1989, a year in which I was very active in buying cards. But I was pretty much focused on the Topps base set and I never knew these existed until a few years ago.

I'm not really dying to own the record-player that goes with these. But I am dying to know what each of these cards says when it's played.

Does anybody have these cards and has played them in the past?

Can you tell me what they say?

If not, I'll just have to find one of the players.

And explain to people in the house why I still need a record player.

Comments

Daniel Wilson said…
I used to have the player and a handful of cards. I think I either sold it at a yard sale or donated it years ago. Here is a link for a youtube video for the Kirk Gibson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGsgbrXsbVI) and Tom Lasorda (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYupkkqAsJ0).
zman40 said…
My dad recently found my old player and I was disappointed to find out that it no longer plays. I can't remember what they said, but I'm pretty sure it was the player's recorded voice. I'm going to have to check out the above link myself.
night owl said…
Those links are fantastic, Daniel. Thank you. Just what I was looking for.
Anonymous said…
I was about to say "Have you looked on YouTube? EVERYTHING is on YouTube".

Those cards are pretty cool... I was in my mid-20's at the time so I didn't think much about them, but if I had been a kid when they came out I would've freakin' loved these.

What amused me the most about Baseball Talk is:
1) There's a checklist card!
2) You can play the checklist! It's sort of a "trailer" for the rest of the set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFfCWqGiD4
The checklist video also shows the card being put into the player.
I worked for a discount toy store in the early 90's and we had these there. I wasn't too interested in them at the time, but I have the Hershiser, Don Mattingly, Hank Aaron and the Series 1 Checklist. We didn't sell the player, so I never listened to them.
Anonymous said…
Glad you didn't have those two! I found them for 50 cents each at the National Convention back in August (July?) and thought they'd be something you might not have. I knew there was a link somewhere with the recordings - of course, should have thought of you tube.