Skip to main content

'52 Jackie on repeat


I received this super fabulous, golden god of a card from Don a week or so ago.

I had no idea what set it was from, and when I turned it over to look at the copyright, I saw "2013," and was even more confused.

But Don informed me that it was from this year's Topps factory set, Walmart edition.

I'm very happy to have this card because not only do I never have an occasion to buy a factory set, but I'm so out of touch that I'd probably never know that this card existed.


The back isn't anything you haven't seen before, but the card number alarms me a little. I don't know what "JRG-1" stands for, but I'm guessing it's something like "Jackie Robinson Greats Card Number 1 In An Exclusive Set Of Five That You'll Never Get Sucker."

Now, I'd like to add that I really, really like this card. Gold. Shiny. Refractor. Jackie. How can you go wrong, right?

But let's look at the bottom left of the card back, where it says "reprint."

I'll assume that the "reprint" signifies it's a reprint of the original 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson, card #312.

But the '52 Jackie has shown up a few other times if I'm not mistaken, and who's to say that it's not a reprint of one of those?

In fact, I'll just leave this right here:

1995 Topps Archives Brooklyn Dodgers


2001 Topps Archives Reserve


2001 Topps Archives



2002 Topps 50th anniversary '52 World Series


2011 Topps 60 Years Of Topps

And now:

2013 Topps Walmart Factory Set


How many times am I going to be reminded that I don't have the real thing?

Comments

Dave said…
You should put them in a nine pocket page and be on the lookout for three different ones. Then you'll have your own private Andy Warhol-esque page of 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson reprints.