Skip to main content

Attack of the PWEs


A record was set here at the Night Owl residence on Monday.

Here is the record:

7 - most card packages received from one person in a single day.

It's good to know I can still make history in year five of Night Owl Cards, but I really can't take credit for any of it. Wes of Jaybarkerfan's Junk went on one of his PWE binges again and conducted an envelope drop on my home.

Here is one flurry:


And here is another:


But they all came together, wrapped in a rubber band.

It's mail behavior like this that draws the attention of my postal carrier. Frankly, I don't want his attention because he's a little creepish (I know stories). But there are certain sacrifices we must make if we want to be dive-bombed by cardboard.

As you may know, all of Wes' PWE presentations are very random, which is the best kind of presentation. The PWEs are both random in kind and in amount. I thought I'd show the best card out of each envelope with a breakdown of the contents as well.

It's the least I can do for my record-setting friend.


Envelope 1

Number of cards: 11
Some highlights: The Campy Wal-Mart '51 tribute issue up at the top of the post, which I didn't have. It's one of those cards that completely leaves my mind once the year it was issued passes. ... Some fine '88 Fleer star stickers ... a well-loved '81 Fleer Doug Rau.

Best of the PWE:


1988 Score Traded Tim Belcher and Rick Dempsey

You will see a theme develop with these envelopes and that theme is:

"My god, I'm never going to finish off all the Dodgers from the junk wax era!"

Thankfully, here are two that are now off the list. They'll also knock 5 minutes off my sleepless nights.


Envelope 2

Number of cards: 3
Some highlights: A sighting of Dodger prospect J.T. Wise. With as many versions of the same card that Bowman releases I will have to check and recheck whether I have this one. ... An always appreciated mid-80s Fernando.

Best of the PWE:


1985 Topps All-Star glossy Alejandro Pena

Glory be, a card that isn't on any want list of mine because I FORGOT TO MAKE ONE.

I suppose this means I now need even more cards. Oh, glossy all-star Pena, you are both a blessing and a curse.


Envelope 3

Number of cards: 7
Some highlights: Some of the most pristine '82 Topps Dodgers that I have ever seen. ... a 1982 Fleer Fernando strikeout king ... an '82 Donruss Ron Cey.

Best of the PWE:


2011 Bowman Platinum Prospects Zach Lee

I don't know why this card scanned as a root beer parallel. It's actually the base version of this card, which means it's tormented me for too long as I stare at the xrefractor and purple parallel versions I have already.

By the way, with the way things are going, I expect Lee to be starting for the Dodgers by next Tuesday.


Envelope 4

Number of cards: 12
Some highlights: 1999 Fleer Mystique Adrian Beltre ... 1987 Fleer Update Matt Young ... '75 Lineage mini Sandy Koufax

Best of the PWE:


1991 Topps All-Star Game glossy Mike Scioscia

Uh oh. Another want list I forgot to create. I had no idea these things were still going in 1991. I have so much work to do. But I love that Topps carried over the 40 years logo onto the insert set.


Envelope 5

Number of cards: 14
Some highlights: Another '88 Score Traded need in Jesse Orosco ... a '91 Darryl Strawberry from something called "Playball USA Cards" ... '87 Fleer Star stickers ... somebody is actually willing to still send me a Matt Kemp card

Best of the PWE:


1973 TCMA '41 Brooklyn Dodgers Dolph Camilli

I think this is the earliest TCMA Dodgers card I now own. Pretty much the highlight of all the envelopes. I love me a card of the 1941 National League MVP.


Envelope 6

Number of cards: 12
Some highlights: Hideo Nomo 1997 Upper Deck 10th anniversary preview ... 1990 Scioscia all-star glossy (a former Nebulous 9 need) ... '91 Score Traded Kevin Gross

Best of the PWE:


2011 Bowman Chrome Prospects Matt Magill

Hey, he's a starter for the Dodgers now. Don't give me that garbage about how the Dodgers are failing "expectations." Expectations are meaningless. Sometimes I wish when the season ends in October that nobody can say anything about baseball until the season starts again in April.


Envelope 7

Number of cards: 10
Some highlights: Another Fernando, this time an '86 Fleer Star Sticker. ... That delightfully goofy Fleer Baseball's Hottest Stars Orel Hershiser. ... a JD Drew 2005 Skybox Autographics.

Best of the PWE:


1987 Sportflics Tri-Stars Fernando Valenzuela (and 2 other guys)

I never know what to do with these Tri-Stars cards as a team collector. Usually what I do is put them in my binders if the Dodger player shows when the card is placed flat. But that's probably very obsessive of me. So I am putting this in the binder, regardless of whether I see annoying Dave Righetti beaming back at me.


So, there you are. Seven terrific PWEs from the super generous Jaybarkerfan's Junk.

I don't know how he does it. All those stamps, all those envelo ...

Hang on.

I think I just heard the mailman ...

...

...

...


Wow ...




Two days later!


I guess this one got tied up in the backlog?


Envelope 8

Number of cards: 8
Some highlights: Dodgers/Yankees '86 Fleer checklist ... '88 Fleer World Series Scioscia, "dramatic comeback"

Best of the PWE:


2001 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia Kevin Brown


Yeah. Kevin Brown.

Not every story has a happy ending.

;)

Comments

Spiegel83 said…
Epic mail day. Tons of great cards. I also did not know that Topps was making those all-star cards into the 90s. I thought they died in the 80s and now it is time for me to search some out.
Unknown said…
I usually have to pay for mail days like that.
jacobmrley said…
relevant: http://www.theonion.com/articles/dangerous-mutated-strain-of-fernandomania-discover,28412/