Skip to main content

Awesome night card, pt. 161


I believe this is the last of the "I Don't Know What This Is" Cards that I've received in the mail over the last few weeks. I am sure there's another one that will be arriving any day now at the rate I have been accumulating them.

This card came from Adam at ARPSmith's Sports Obsession, and I think he throws cards like this at me because as a Giants fan he enjoys tormenting Dodgers fans.

Here is what I know about this card:


  • It's a card commemorating Raul Mondesi's 30th home run in 1997, making him the first Dodger to join the 30-30 club.
  • It shows the image of Mondesi hitting the record-setting home run (very cool), which came off of somebody named Jeff McCurry -- yeah, I have no idea who that is -- of the Colorado Rockies on Sept. 26, 1997.
  • It has the time-lapse thing going, so if you tilt the card away from you, you will see Mondesi deposit McCurry's pitch over the left field wall at Coors Field (also very cool).
  • It was one of a five-card set, apparently all featuring Dodgers record breakers. If you were part of something called the Kids Clubhouse, you received a free card whenever you attended a game. The cards changed monthly.
  • It was made in 1998 by PrismVision cards, produced by LT/Digital 3D Corp. in Burbank, Calif. I don't know what that is either.


But I do know that these cards are best scanned horizontally. The image above is a horizontal scan.

This is what you get with a vertical scan:


I think that wall behind home plate will put you into a deep sleep.

The card uses the lenticular technology that was used with Sportflics cards, and Sportflics are the same way -- they scan better if placed on the scanning bed vertically. (Your scanner may vary).

But that's all I know.

The card doesn't appear to be listed in my great big Sports Americana book of baseball cards. And that's as far as my knowledge goes these days. I don't have time to stare at the internet for hours.

So, like all cards of this nature, it will be grouped with my 1998 Dodgers but placed in the back with any other random, generic, indefinable, sometimes infuriating, Dodger cards.

Infuriatingly awesome, of course.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night Card Binder candidate: Raul Mondesi, 1998 Dodgers Record Breakers, some sort of stadium-issue set, no number
Does it make the binder?: It needs a number to make the binder, so, no.

Comments

Spiegel83 said…
I remember watching this game and seeing the joy of Raauuul rounding the bases after reaching the 30/30 club. Nice card.
arpsmith said…
I found that card in a dime box at a card store I frequent occasionally. I thought of you instantly hoping you hadn't seen it before.
AdamE said…
I have some of these in my long forgotten Marino collection. They came in a case that looks and opens like a CD case only it is smaller. The football ones had like a 10-15 player checklist, were each sold individually, and they were issued for two years (that I know of).
Unknown said…
It was a stadium giveaway in 98 I beleive.
Dave said…
I know this is old, but I've actually have 8 different cards of this set, plus the Dodgers kids clubhouse blockbuster video Raul Mondesi motion membership card that went with the set. I only wish there was a checklist for the set.
Dave said…
The issue with this card set, counting the Raul Mondesi kids clubhouse membership card, I've got 10 cards for this set. There's two Mike Piazza cards.
Checklist I have:
Membership card
Header card
Mike Piazza
Hideo Nomo
Ramon Martinez
Raul Mondesi
Todd Zeile
Eric Karros
Todd Hollandsworth
Mike Piazza