Skip to main content

Play ball! (2010)

I did this last year. I've decided to make it an Opening Day tradition.

Unfortunately, with the holiday and all, I didn't have any time to track down a variety of cards from various companies. I'm afraid these images are "borrowed."

But that's the great thing about traditions. I'll get to do it all over again next year. Plan on seeing some Upper Deck and Fleer in 2011.

OK, join me, won't you? ...

The last time the YANKEES won the World Series, cards looked like this:

(Yes, Pavano. You guys won the World Series. Let me have my fun).


The last time the PHILLIES won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the RED SOX won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the CARDINALS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the WHITE SOX won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the MARLINS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the ANGELS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the DIAMONDBACKS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the BRAVES won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the BLUE JAYS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the TWINS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the REDS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the A's won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the DODGERS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the METS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the ROYALS won the World Series, cards looked like this:


The last time the TIGERS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the ORIOLES won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the PIRATES won the World Series, cards looked like this:


The last time the GIANTS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the INDIANS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the CUBS won the World Series, cards looked like this:



The last time the ASTROS, BREWERS, MARINERS, NATIONALS, PADRES, RANGERS, RAYS or ROCKIES won the World Series, cards looked like this:


Once again, it's been a long time for a few of you folks.

But it's Opening Day! And the worst team in baseball at this very moment is the Yankees with an 0-1 record!!!!!

Enjoy it. For some of us, it's all downhill from here.

Comments

I almost cried when I figured out what you were doing. I knew there would be no photo for the Rangers! All hope was not lost as I remembered a lengthy post from you would lead me down to the Alyssa Milano picture once again. Right now we're (The Rangers) in first place. Go Rangers.
Nachos Grande said…
I knew there must be a reason for me to like that 1990 Topps set. I'd like to think you'll need to find a 2010 Topps Reds card for next year's post - but alas, I'm afraid that might be overly optimistic...I probably should start by hoping the Reds finish with a winning record and go from there.
Kevin said…
This is a great concept, made all the better by posting the greatest Earl Weaver card ever. Hats off, Night Owl!

It's funny - I've come to think that the Red Sox fans are the most obnoxious in baseball and I can't stand a good number of their players (Papelbon, Beckett, and Pedroia are the WORST), but more often than not I find myself "rooting" for them when they play the Yankees. That hatred of pinstripes just runs blood-deep.
Orioles Magic said…
This is very cool, I just wish the Orioles card was a bit newer. And I also love how the Yankees are currently the worst team in baseball.
capewood said…
And the Phillies are the best!
Anonymous said…
Great post. Nothing newer for the Pirates? Haven't they been dominant the past few years?

Oh wait...
Anonymous said…
Too bad Pavano wasn't with the Yankees AT ALL last year.
night owl said…
Yes, I know. Did you read what I wrote under the Pavano card? That's why I posted that card.
Anonymous said…
"(Yes, Pavano. You guys won the World Series. Let me have my fun)."

??

I'll just chalk that up to me not getting it and move about my business. :D