Skip to main content

Badass or bad imitation?

I've got very little time today. Work is calling. And this isn't going to be a five-minute chat. It's going to be a long, drawn-out, "how the hell can anyone TALK so much," please-kill-me-now conversation.

So, I have a quick question for you, and that will be it until I can come up for air.

Here is the background before the question: As you know I have something called the "I'm Badass and You're Not" Club. It's frivolous. It's meaningless. But it amuses me. And like anything that amuses me, I take it seriously.

I only want people that I deem worthy enough to be in the club. The first requirement is the player had to play in the '70s. If you weren't part of the '70s, then you're not badass. Find some other definition to describe large, intimidating, put-you-in-the-ground players.

The second requirement is the player meets my own extremely subjective rules. All kinds of things come into to play here. I mentioned before that I didn't think Reggie Jackson deserved mention into the club, because he talked about himself too much, and he was kind of a whiner. So, he's not in the club. Unless I change my mind. See? Subjective.

That brings me to another player who some have mentioned as deserving to be in the badass club:

Dave Parker was a big dude. No question. He was a talented player who won a championship. And he had one of the best right field arms I have ever seen. That is a major badass attribute.

But, as far as I'm concerned, there are two strikes against him. First, he was one of the first baseball players I ever saw wear an earring. Earrings for men are quite commonplace now. But I'm still not over it. It was rather alarming at the time. And considering we're talking about the '70s, I don't know if I should let that go.

Secondly, he was a major figure in the Pittsburgh drug trials and an admitted drug user. Color it anyway you want, but drug use is an addiction and a weakness. And people in my badass club are not weak.

So, here comes the question: What's it going to be? Badass or not? I'll leave it up to you. Let me know in the comments.

And just for kicks, let's see if some of you can phrase your answer in the form of a question:

And if your question/comment is: "How lame is this post?", you can forget about me keeping an eye out for cards for you.

Comments

But would you rather have Dave Parker on your side in a barroom brawl or batting cleanup for your badass team?
Steve Gierman said…
I can certainly see your points, but as for the earring thing... being a trendsetter is a badass trait!

I'd reluctantly vote badass.
dayf said…
How can a man named Cobra NOT be badass?
Matt Runyon said…
Answer: A man who inhaled too much nose candy and pissed away a Hall of Fame career.

Question: Who was Dave Parker?

I'd say "no" on Mr. Parker being a badass.
bul2 said…
Put him in. He's a healthy mix of Shaft and Mr. T
Mad Guru said…
Let he who is without sin and all that jazz. Show me anyone who doesn't have their flaws.

I was born in Western PA and there was no one as badass on the Pirates as Parker. You think maybe Kent Tekulve was more badass? Or John "The Candy Man" Candaleria? Jim Bibby?

As for my question....

"When the first player selected as a badass was the host of The Baseball Bunch, doesn't that make everyone else more badass by default?"
night owl said…
Mad Guru ~ point taken. But I think there are some Reds fans who would like to speak with you.
Randall said…
Night Owl, I see your dilemma. As a compromise, how about going with a one time team mate - Bill "Mad Dog" Madlock. For badass-ery, I don't think anyone else comes close. After all, how many players can say they were suspended for an entire season for fighting (in the minors) or managed to get ejected from the same game from two different umpires?
Greg said…
What is not a bad ass?

I'll take "Bad Ass or Not a Bad Ass" for $400.