Skip to main content

Some Kershaws, plus other holiday goodies

While most people are enjoying a three-day weekend and summer's last bash, I will be enjoying a one-day weekend, sandwiched between some regular, old workdays.

That's OK. I knew that would happen way back when I chose this profession. But it gets tiring at times. So, I need a post filled with snazzy cards to send me off to work smiling. And I have just the thing.

Remember when I was fishing for a Clayton Kershaw autograph? Well, the Allen & Ginter card here is the card I mentioned in the post. Chris of Nachos Grande was nice enough to send me this card, even though he is collecting every last item in 2009 A&G.

It's a great card. Kershaw's autograph is cool, too. It makes me want to find another autographed Kershaw. As a reminder, I still have this card:

Troll has been driving all over the Southeast looking for a Kershaw card in exchange for it. So, I'm hoping he can come through. But if others are interested, please let me know. It's a super-snazzy card, but I'd much rather have the Kershaw.

Meanwhile, I received another special Kershaw card from Joe of Cobb and Halladay. Like I've said before, Joe's got some very terrific cards. And he was nice enough to track this one down for me.

It's the no-numbered, hand-numbered A&G Kershaw mini. Woo-hoo! So, what do I have left now? I think I still need the A&G back, and I definitely need all the hard-to-get Kershaws, the wood mini and the silk card. But I'm certainly happy with what I've got.

Of course, Joe didn't stop there. Oh, no, that's not like Joe:
Those are three regular-back minis that I needed. This is very important because I have officially sworn off A&G blasters until 2010. I have gotten absolutely nothing out of these things this year. While others are pulling mutant blasters off the shelves, I can't even pull a single relic card. And that, I don't understand, because I pulled like 7 or 8 last year.

So, the only A&G I'll be purchasing will come from the hobby store or online, and considering my finances at the moment, that means there will be no A&G anytime soon.
Here is a whole mess of 2009 Chrome from Joe that I needed. The two lighter-colored cards at the bottom left are the refractors. It's nice to get Topps Dodger cards of Hudson and the DUI dude, Belisario.

I also received the gold refractor of one of the majors' best bench players, Juan Pierre. I'm going to have to go through all of my '09 Pierres. I might have more variations of this card than any other this season.

Joe also sent a trio of 2009 Upper Deck single-swatch jersey relics. I don't think these things were well-designed. Topps slaughtered UD in the design of its relics from the base set, which is pretty much on par with everything else regarding Topps and UD this year.

There is the "single swatch" of Mr. Loney.

And there is the jerseyed "J" of J. Martin. Sweet!

Finally, we have one card in which Joe went above-and-beyond. This is crazy generosity.
This is the first silk card of a Dodger that I have ever owned. It's so crazy that I half don't believe I even own it. I keep thinking I have to return it before the loan agreement expires. I have pulled exactly one silk card in my life, so this is great.

Joe, many thanks for all the cool cards. I'll be sending you something soon, but I haven't stumbled across a Roy Halladay silk card yet.

Everyone enjoy the holiday.

Comments