Skip to main content

Checking in

It's Friday, so I'm taking a break from the usual mindless drivel for something even more mindless: 1970s checklists!

In my quest to figure out the greatest cards of each of the stars of the 1970s, I thought I'd detour into checklists. They're not as exciting as cards of players with, you know, actual photos on them, but at least checklists were treated with dignity during the '70s. They were a key part of the set, not throwaway pieces of crap like they are today.

So here's a look at the checklists of the '70s. No poll this time. I don't think people want to vote on what they think is the best (or maybe they do. I can never figure you guys and gals out). If you have an opinion, comment away:

1970 Topps: One of only two checklists from the decade that features an image of a player, even if it is a drawing. The player looks Gil Thorp-ish.

1971 Topps: I'm always partial to '71 Topps. This is the only checklist with a white background. The player has a semi-Pete Rose look to him.

1972 Topps: This checklist is positively understated compared to the rest of the '72 set. There are no 3-D block letters screaming, "CHECKLIST!"

1973 Topps: I had to hijack this image, because until I found this, I had never seen a 1973 checklist before. Never. It reminds me of hockey card. Maybe it's the ice blue letters.

1974 Topps: Ugh. Puke green background. Nothing more to say.

1975 Topps: As a huge fan of this set, I'm proud to say it's the only one from the decade that featured two versions of the checklist. Pink and yellow border or peach and blue border! Good times.

1976 Topps: This wins the prize for the most garish checklist. A bright pink background with bright orange (eesh) and blue bars. Wow.

1977 Topps: I have to show at least one checklist with eraser marks, don't I? This was erased by me. I have no idea why. It was many years ago.

1978 Topps: Probably the classiest checklist of the decade with the script writing. The '78 checklist ended a streak of five straight years of featuring pink in the checklist design. Thumbs-up on that.

1979 Topps: Apparently, Topps had a relapse in '79 and plastered pink all over its checklists. This is almost nausea-inducing.

There you are. Hope I didn't make you think too hard. Enjoy the weekend.

Also, if you haven't voted in the first Cardboard Appreciation poll, you only have a couple days. It's turning into a close two-card race!

Comments

At least you used a pencil, all mine have pen marks.
Unknown said…
Aaagh. You are hitting a nerve with this one. I need one card to complete '73 and it's a high number checklist. That sucker is going for 20-25 bucks on ebay in unmarked condition. I just can't do it...but i HAVE to do it. 659 does not a complete set make. I am exhausted from the arguments I've had wth myself over this. It's been going on for months. I'm going to end up in a nursing home babbling about ol' #588. Thank for a little salt in the wound Night Owl!@#**!#$
dayf said…
'71 by a mile, followed by a tie for all of 'em that used a yellow background. You have to be able to read the damn things without killing your eyes. Dark backgrounds on checklists are evil. I mean you, 1979.
capewood said…
Hey, it was the '70s. I had shirts and ties that used some of those same color schemes.
Jim said…
If there was a poll, I'd cast my vote for the '75 checklists. 1975 Topps is just better in every way - even the checklists.
Tom said…
OK, I admit it: I colored in the little squares on the checklists back in the '70s.
jacobmrley said…
I assume topps had to meet their pink quota in the printing process...

the 1970's CL have always been a fav of mine, as have the 75's, but i am bias to the 75's.