Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: cards 11-15

(Final week of baseball's regular season. Where did it all go? This was the fastest regular season I have ever experienced. I have a feeling future ones will go even faster. So, it's time to slow it down for a minute or two. Take a moment for Cardboard Appreciation):

Poor Herb Score. He lost the second Cardboard Appreciation vote-off by a single vote. Isn't that just like a Cleveland Indian? So much pain in that uniform.

Anyway, I'm sad for Score, but happy another for Herb -- Herb Washington -- who captured the second spot as one of the 10 Cardboard Appreciation finalists. The votes have been tabulated and here is how the second vote-off went down:

1. Herb Washington (1975 Topps): 13 votes
2. Herb Score (1956 Topps): 12 votes
3. Marcus Thames (2006 Upper Deck): 5 votes
4. Jim Kaat (1983 Fleer): 4 votes
5. Marquis Grissom (1993 Stadium Club): 1 vote

This means the third vote-off is officially under way. And it's a tough one. It involves not one, but two, Carlton Fisk cards. And they're both great ones. So, here are the next five up for selection. Please take a moment to vote in the poll at right.

1982 Donruss Phil Garner: You can't have one '82 Donruss Garner without the other '82 Donruss Garner -- the reverse negative version. A vote for one is a vote for both.

1991 Topps Carlton Fisk: A card that sums up the greatness of 1991 Topps. We didn't know what we had back in 1991.

2003 Topps Rickey Henderson: Rickey in a rare reflective moment. Cool.

2008 Stadium Club Russell Martin: The man cannot take a bad picture when it's going on a baseball card. Case in point.

1977 Topps Carlton Fisk: A very unusual photo for its time, which is why us young'uns loved it so much.

As usual, the links take you back to the original Cardboard Appreciation posts. (The '77 Fisk post is a particular favorite of mine).

And, I'm happy to note that I actually found two more Cardboard Appreciation subjects for when this whole vote-off thing is over. And I even scanned one of them. How about that? Incremental progress!

Now vote!

Comments

I call foul...three, count 'em, THREE play at the plate cards. I love the angle on the Martin card. I can truly appreciate the 1977 Fisk. The 1991 Fisk is AWESOME. I'm 39 and don't use that word too often. Fisk is waiting for the ball and big Cecil is OUT of control, running like he's on fire and he is carrying a load. That is not a collision I want to be a part of, but Fisk is not backing down. Great card! But that's just me.
Matt Runyon said…
All five of these cards are worthy of a vote. I'm torn between the two Fisk cards. Both are from underappreciated Topps sets. I'll go with the 1977--gotta love the rounded corners and dings.
Bevacqua said…
For me it was a close call between the two Fisks too. I went with '91 because:
1. Horizontal is cool.
2. 3 players to look at vs. 2.
3. Anyone can block the plate against Randolph. I'd be half way up the first base line if i saw Cecil coming. That's hardcore.
Hackenbush said…
I love the 1991 Fisk. The colors are great and it has a cinematic look to it.