Skip to main content

Gint-a-cuffs, the all-star game version

This will have to serve as my All-Star Game post. Because if I wrote a post exclusively about the All-Star Game, it would degenerate into either a) speculation about which National League reliever will blow the game this time, or b) a diatribe about how the game is so overmanaged that it's possible to run out of pitchers when each team has at least a dozen on the roster.

So, I'm staying happy with more Allen & Ginter "Gint-a-Cuffs" fun! Let's get to Packs 10-12:

PACK 10

99 - Chris Duncan (0 points), not an All-Star
2 - Zack Greinke (0 points), All-Star
258 - Feliz Hernandez (0 points), All-Star

92 - Joe Mauer (+2 points, favorite player list). All-Star, and my selection for this year's MVP. I know I picked Justin Morneau in 30-Year-Old Cardboard's contest, but that was only because someone already picked Mauer.

17 - Manny Ramirez (+1, favorite team). Not an All-Star. Something about taking something he shouldn't have.

334 - Pat Burrell (SP, +5 points, favorite player list, +2 points, total +7 points). Not an All-Star

90 - Geronimo mini (not Cesar and not an All-Star) (0 points)

NP58 - Derek Jeter, National Pride (+4 points for favorite player list, but -1 for dressing up in pinstripes, total +3 points). All-Star. And does Jeter look like he's wearing a beard in this picture? He looks oldish.

PACK 10 TOTAL: 13 points
TOTAL SCORE SO FAR: 115 points

PACK 11
175 - Alfonso Soriano (0 points). Not an All-Star
283 - Mike Aviles (0 points). Not an All-Star
37 - Andre Ethier (+1, favorite team). Not an All-Star. I would like to continue this pattern of pulling a Dodger from every pack. But, sadly, I'm not going to be able to do that. Yes, I've looked ahead.

45 - Derek Lee (0 points). Not an All-Star
136 - Mickey Mantle (-1 point). Was an All-Star a bunch of times. I notice that Mantle doesn't get card No. 7. Hopefully, that's the end of that nonsense. It just lasted too long.

345 - Carlos Delgado (SP, +5 points). Not an All-Star.

234 - Wyatt Earp mini, A&G back (+2 points). All-Star of the Old West

NP62 - Ryan Braun, National Pride (+4 points), All-Star

Crack the Code ad (0 points)

PACK 11 SCORE: 11 points
TOTAL SCORE SO FAR: 126 points
Moving right along.

PACK 12

5 - Luke Hochevar (0 points). Not an All-Star
233 - John Lackey (0 points). Not an All-Star
279 - Jon Lester (0 points). Not an All-Star
162 - Shane Victorino (0 points). All-Star
22 - Mariano Rivera (+1 point, favorite player list). All-Star, but freakin' Yankee.

61 - KENNY! (+2, for being the beard and mustache champion of the world!). A grooming All-Star extraordinaire.

HHB12 - Victor Lustig, World's Biggest Hoaxes, Hoodwinks and Bamboozles (+5 points). Lustig convinced a scrap metal company to buy the Eiffel Tower. All-Star practical joker, but that's about it.

NP63 - Carlos Beltran, National Pride (0 points). Not an All-Star. I can't believe Beardy couldn't convince one of the vast numbers of Mets collectors to participate in Gint-a-Cuffs.

PACK 12 SCORE: 8 points
TOTAL SCORE SO FAR: 134 points

That's all for now. I've got to prepare for All-Star Game viewing (Yes, I watched all 15 innings last year. It was fantastic).

Here is a sticker to keep my optimism up:
Remember when the National League was so powerful that they not only won the All-Star Game every year, but they scored 7 runs each game just to show the AL that they were so good that they could score the same number every time?

Refresher:

1973: NL 7-1
1974: NL 7-2
1976: NL 7-1
1977: NL 7-5
1978: NL 7-3
1979: NL 7-6

I'll be happy with an NL win of any score now.

That's it. Enjoy the game. My next Gint-a-Cuffs will be a little more interesting. A couple of hits involved.

Comments

Matt Runyon said…
MLB TV is showing the old All-Star games (I'm DVRing the pre-1990 games). I just watched the 1976 game. The teams seemed so much stronger then---perhaps because there were only 24 teams and there were fewer guys who had to be there to represent a crappy team. Now if only I could figure out how to put them on DVD. :)
Dinged Corners said…
"Remember when the National League was so powerful that they not only won the All-Star Game every year, but they scored 7 runs each game just to show the AL that they were so good that could they could score the same number every time?"

I remember. The downfall of modern civilization can be directly traced to when this changed.
Anonymous said…
Jeter either has a beard, or some sort of growth that he should have checked out by a medical professional. No doubt from a late night dalliance with Madonna.

Verification word - "horso" How does blogger know?
Anonymous said…
Word Verification: osups

I agree, last year's was fantastic on multiple levels for me. Much fun was had apparently, though I thought my running play-by-play in the chatroom I happened to be on would probably be annoying to everybody, since I was about the only baseball fan. But they told me to keep going because I was making it sound exciting. Can't believe it's been a year already. Feel so old... ;_;