Skip to main content

Are these real?

I have had two autographed cards in my possession for a long time. I bought them both from the same dealer at the same card show back when I was a teenager.

This was before the huge boom in autograph collecting, which gave rise to all the forgeries that now flood the market. There were no accompanying authentication letters or stickers or anything like that with the two cards.

But even though there was a little more trust back in those days, there is still doubt regarding what I own. I have no idea whether the Harmon Killebrew card (up top) or the Sandy Koufax card (down below) were autographed by the actual players.

Every image that I have been able to find on the intertubes seems to match these two autographs. But I'm not very well versed on what to look for or what other avenues there are for determining if your autograph is the real thing.

So I ask those who collect autographs regularly and have experience in varifying such autos: what do you think? Do these look legit to you?

Again, I think they're the real thing. But I'm sick of dealing with that nagging feeling of doubt. I'd like to put it to rest.

Comments

Dinged Corners said…
Well I hope so. But Kris (Cards in the Attic) should weigh in, he's very good at this.
stusigpi said…
The one thing working against you is that autos on cards like this were notoriously forged back in the day. The reasons for that was, its much harder to determine its a fake and when the named is signed on the card, a person associates that signature with the person on the card. Cards like these were bought and sold for a ton of cash. The only way to tell would be to have them authenticated by PSA and then break them out of the case if you don't like them. I like the cases. Given the Koufax,it might be reasonable to pay the authentication fee.
beardy said…
yeah, i agree about sending them in for authentication. even without the sigs they are nice cards, but that koufax is probably worth a pretty penny if real, and as a dodger collector i'm sure would be one the the prized cards in your collection.
Motherscratcher said…
I guess the only thing to do would be to send them to PSA. I don't know what to think about authentication services, though. Especially after that hullabaloo a month ago over the Razor cut signatures. Some of the stuff I read seems to indicate that the services are far from a sure thing.
night owl said…
Sending stuff to PSA makes me nervous, especially something like the Koufax card, which already is one of the biggest prizes in my collection. But I'd think about it.
jacobmrley said…
just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it. - george costanza.

I have a 1972 Carlton Fisk with his signature that I bought 1000 years ago and I have never once doubted it, I would never sell it and it sits in a prize spot in my pudge collection.
Anonymous said…
They're real, and they're spectacular.
night owl said…
Two Seinfeld quotes so far. Keep 'em coming!
Matt Flaten said…
Keith Hernandez! I despise that man!
LanceBurnitz said…
Your Koufax looks good. I have a Koufax ball that was signed IP that has been passed down in my family and it looks like mine.