Skip to main content

Attax, yes, with an "x"

So, today I traveled again to the big box epicenter in my town in my continuing quest to find Heritage retail packs. I found nothing.

Neither store had any 2009 blasters either, of any variety -- darkened, grayed-backed, regular or extra crispy. So I walked away with the only thing that I haven't seen on any blog yet -- yes, two pax of '09 Topps Attax.

Stop laughing.

I get the distinct impression that some people don't consider Topps Attax collectible cards. That it's just a silly kids' game.

Well, first of all, I don't know any kids who play cards. Most of the people I knew who played cards are no longer with us. I have a hard time believing, even with the online connection, that it's a big kids draw. But aside from that, they're pretty much like any other cards. Picture of the player and the team name. Yeah, the card back is direct from your grandmother's gin rummy deck, but I like the simplicity. And how often these days do you see a Topps wrapper with no odds on it?

I'm not saying I'm going to collect these, but I'm at least interested in what I got. Aren't you? No? Come on, you like pretty pictures like everyone else.

Here we go. Pack 1:

1. Joe Mauer, Twins. I watched the demonstration video on how this card game is played. But I got only the general gist of it. I was a little distracted by all the "Wassup" and "Woot" going on. But if you want to see it, here it is.

There's the back. Fascinating, huh? At least they change up the logo depending on who is featured.

2. Victor Martinez, Indians
3. Placido Polanco, Tigers

4. Brandon Phillips, Reds. Everyone seems to like this guy. I never see the Reds play, so I have no opinion. I know he's a fine player.

5. Bill Hall, Brewers
6. John Lackey, Angels (I have a code! I'll sell it to you for a MILLION dollars. And a pony. For my daughter).

7. David Wright, Mets. Shiny foil card. I don't know if these mean anything special in the card game.

8. Chad Billingsley, Dodgers. Yay! I wonder if there's a checklist with this set, or thing, or whatever you call it. Is it even a set?

9. Bobby Jenks, White Sox

10. David Ortiz, Red Sox. Big Papi blending into his background.

Pack 2:
1. Yadier Molina, Cardinals. My hero in 2006.

2. Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Rangers
3. Jose Lopez, Mariners

4. Rafael Furcal, Dodgers

5. Ronnie Belliard, Nationals
6. Jake Peavy, Padres (another code)

7. Pat Burrell, Rays. Shiny card. Burrell photoshopped into his Rays uniform.

8. James Shields, Rays
9. Chien-Ming Wang, Yankees

10. Matt Kemp, Dodgers. Watch out for him this year.

There you go. Not a lot of substance. But fun, right? Well, I had fun anyway.

Comments

madding said…
I don't think MLB Showdown ever caught on, so I don't understand why this product exists. They should have brought back Topps Total and marketed it towards kids by trying to get it sold at places where kids actually go.
Anonymous said…
That David Wright card looks nice. I'm still trying to find a real checklist for these somewhere so I can decide if I want to bother collecting them.
nymetsfan said…
That D. Wright card is shiny. I like it. If anyone else doesn't claim it, I'd love to add it to my meager Wright collection. Would also being willing to trade for the Shields card, too.
night owl said…
Mets fan ~

Paul beat you to the Wright card. But send me an email and I'll send the Shields card to you.
Steve Gierman said…
Three Dodgers and a Jenks. Not a bad two packs.
Anonymous said…
Ooooh, Papi!

I saw a box/base set of this stuff at Wally World yesterday while looking for Heritage. I decided against it.
capewood said…
I gave up on finding Topps Heritage at the local big box and paid a small fortune to buy a hobby box on eBay. I usually buy one hobby box a year, so this may be it. Hopefully I'll get a good posting as a box break.