Skip to main content

Thank you post

2009 Heritage is pushed back to Friday! (EDIT: Uh, maybe. I don't believe anything anymore). No good, rotten, schemin', short-printin', gimmickin' bunch of back stabbers.

Oh well, I have plenty to do today anyway, so that's one less thing on the list. It's hard to fit Heritage hunting into a day that already includes the start of spring training games.

So that's what I'm going to do with this post: look on the bright side. First off, a thank you to the people who read my spittle. Sometimes I don't know why you do. Yesterday was a record for me in both visits and page views, and I haven't the foggiest why. But thanks.

Secondly, it still boggles my mind how easily it is to obtain cards like the Hermanski card here since I've started blogging. I'll say it again: great, great people out there. And before I get too back-logged, there are people I need to thank for some recent packages. So I better get that out of the way before I have to dash out the door.

First up are some old-style Heritage, 2008 that is, from Nachos Grande. Once again, the fact that I am still trying to complete this set is another reason why I should be happy that the 2009 offering isn't here yet.

Chris sent me 18 black back cards, which is terrific, although if you mention black around Chris right now he might whip something at you. (I am very afraid to go to the card aisle at Wal-Mart. Well, it's not really an aisle at my Wal-Mart. More like a pile).

I am still collecting all the black backs, but if I don't have the card for the regular set yet, I'll take the black back card and fill the hole in the binder with that. So that is where Mr. Kinsler and Mr. Posada will be going.

Same with Mr. Damon, Ray, Jennings and Wagner. I may have the Harris card already. I'm not sure. Probably forgot to take him off my list.

The next group of cards are from Kerry of Cards on Cards. I already showed several of the "pink" Dodgers that he sent. He also sent a couple from '83 and '84 and 13 from 1985, when Topps got the color scheme absolutely right.

1985 was an odd time for the Dodgers. They had all these young kids coming up in Mike Marshall, Greg Brock, Dave Anderson, Franklin Stubbs and German Rivera. A lot of them were supposed to be good. None of them really were.

Kerry also sent some random Dodgers, including a 2006 Bazooka Derek Lowe ...

... a 2006 Fleer of the most popular man in baseball ...

... and a key 1998 Topps Finest of Mondo imprisoned in a protective coating.

Here is a set that's been much easier to complete. Ironic isn't it, that a set 18 years old is easier to complete than a modern day set? Stupid money grubbers. With the addition of these cards that Kerry sent I am down to needing 10 cards from the 1991 Topps set. Barely two months ago I needed close to 200.

Among the '91s sent were a key All-Star card of Ryno, the last All-Star card I needed ...

... a sweet card of Robin in Comiskey ...

... and Greg Gagne in action. One of the great cards that has me attempting to complete this set.

The list of cards that I need for those of you who don't like clicking links:

#51 - Art Howe
#131 - checklist
#208 - Willie Wilson
#239 - Darren Lewis
#365 - Mike Schooler
#431 - Paul Gibson
#455 - Walt Weiss (possibly the best card in the set)
#481- Eddie Whitson
#491 - Kurt Miller
#550 - Eric Davis

Also, in the process of double-checking my list, I found out I still need two Dodgers to complete the '91 team set (I've got to get a hobby that's easier to keep track of). #152 Mickey Hatcher and #367 Dave Walsh are back on the list.

Finally, some cards from Mike of Ryan's Memorabilia. It never hurts to do a little groveling in this hobby. You know how your mom used to say, "don't point" when you were a kid? Well, in collecting, pointing and saying "me want" can produce things like a 1951 Topps Red Back of Gene Hermanski.

This card was displayed on Ryan's Memorabilia, and I provided some info on it, and also a desire to own it. And now it's mine. The card has a couple of issues, like a card that is 58 years old should.

Since we were trading O's for Dodgers, Mike threw in some other Dodgers as well.

A 1993 Diamond King of Eric Karros. It bears a slight resemblance to Eric.

A 1981 Leaders card featuring Don Sutton, and some Yankees dude. I forgot all about Rudy May leading the league in ERA in 1980.

The same goes for Mike Piazza. I just realized that my Piazza collection, as many as I've acquired in the last six months, is pretty pathetic. These two cards will help some, though.

Lastly, a shiny gold-plated card of Gil Hodges from 2002, one of those 1952 World Series retrospective things that I totally missed out on. One of these days I'll figure out exactly what that set is.

Thanks again to Nachos Grande, Cards on Cards and Ryan's Memorabilia. Now, I've got to get moving ...

Comments

Unknown said…
I have the 1991 Topps Howe # 51 if you want it . . . I can also throw in some "vintage" Dodgers if interested.
night owl said…
Quite interested Steve. I'll start lining up Cubs.