Skip to main content

If at first you succeed ...

As some of you know, my first TTM try was a rousing success. It doesn't get any better than having your childhood favorite sign the cards you sent and return them in a week's time.

So, with that victory, I have decided to give it another whirl with another player who has meaning to me, the legendary Duke Snider.

Snider is a big part of the reason why I am a Dodger fan. In fact, anybody affiliated with Roger Kahn's book, "The Boys of Summer," is part of why I am a Dodger fan. And I always thought that he received third billing next to Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays. Whether that was warranted or not, I don't know. I wasn't around in the 1950s. But I think he should've received a little more credit. Mantle had his 565-foot shot in Griffith Stadium. Mays had his catch off of Vic Wertz. Where was Snider's iconic moment? Surely he had a few.

Anyway, with another gracious assist from Brian of 30-Year-Old Cardboard, I will be sending a single card off to Mr. Snider, hopefully sometime this week.

Once again, I want my TTM requests to go to very specific players for very specific reasons. An autograph from Snider will help right a nearly 30-year-old wrong that has to do with this card:

If Snider signs my card, I will reveal what that wrong is. It would be especially sweet if Snider signed this 1951 Topps Red Back. But I don't dare send this card in the mail.

I also will not send this 1957 Topps card of Snider, one of my all-time favorite cards.

That means I will be sending a more modern card and that is a problem because a lot of modern cards are glossy. And I don't like the thought of rubbing off the gloss on a Snider card.

So I am asking for your help. Which of the four cards should I send to Mr. Snider?

There is the 1974 TCMA card. Zero gloss to this card, which makes it ideal for signing. It's a pretty thick card, too. Those are the pros. The cons are that I'd hate to lose this card, as it's from the 1952 Dodgers set that I ordered when I was kid. Secondly, it's an odd shape, so I wouldn't be able to fit it in a penny sleeve.

There is the 2001 Fleer Ultra card that I just received from John of Old School Breaks. There is some gloss to this card, but not a ton. And there is a decent space for Mr. Snider to sign his name, if he decides to sign there.

There is the 2007 Topps Distinguised Veterans card. It would be great to have Duke's signature on this particular card, and again there is a perfect spot for his autograph. But again, I'd hate to lose this card.

Finally, there is a 2004 Fan Favorite card of Duke on my favorite design from the '50s, 1956 Topps. Very little gloss to this card, which is great. But not a ton of room to sign either.

Now, I can hear some of you saying, "Good god, who cares! Pick a card and send it!" But I like to go through these things a bit methodically.

So, I ask you, which card of these four should I send? And thanks for your help.

Comments

Dinged Corners said…
Greg, the 2001 Fleer Ultra would look outstanding.
Laurens said…
Send them all [that you can afford to lose - relatively speaking] and enclose a 'donation' for his time to sign your cards.

He typically signs for free these days, but about six or seven years ago, used to refuse mail unless you enclosed money and put 'donation enclosed' on your package.
Anonymous said…
Pick one that I sent you! In all seriousness, they're all great, but I'd like to see the auto on the Ultra insert myself. If anyone was wondering, some of the cards in that set have signed/signed GU variations, but not Snider. Make it happen Greg...
dayf said…
I think it would look best on the Ultra but a sig on the Distinguished Service card would be really cool. If you're only worried about losing that card, I think I have the Snider from that set so it could be replaced if it vanishes.
Anonymous said…
Send the one(s) you are willing to risk losing with a donation.
Dan said…
I vote for the Ultra, also, but the Fan Fave would be VERY cool with a replica and real signature together. Good luck!
gcrl said…
great minds think alike - i sent the duke a couple of cards last week. i sent a 2001 greats of the game and the (84?) donruss puzzle picture card.
AdamE said…
Personally I don't like the autos on cards with a fake auto on them already, so that eliminates the 04 Fan Favorite. I woudl just send all of the other 3. If I had to choose one I would send the 74 but I like old cards better then new ones. If you want the 57 autoghaphed check this auction. (I don't know what a Snider auto looks like so be wary)

http://cgi.ebay.com/1957-DUKE-SNIDER-AUTOGRAPHED-SIGNED-CARD_W0QQitemZ120377074695QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM_Sports_Cards?hash=item120377074695&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
David Wishinsky said…
Send the Fleer. Snider has hit moment too it is just prolonged. Though I personally think Mays was the best of those three, Snider had the most home runs of anyone in the 1950s, so take that Mantle and Mays...
Anonymous said…
Greg, I added $5 to my envelop two years ago and he signed two cards. It's worth it.
gritz76 said…
Send the '57. I sent a '59 about 6 months ago. Got it back in just over a week. If you don't you'll wish you had!
night owl said…
Thanks for all the advice! I think I know what I'll send now. But I want to think it over another day or two.
Rob- AKA "VOTC" said…
The Distinguished Service cards has a great spot for the auto that he would be naturally drawn to signing and make that card look sweet
madding said…
If it wasn't for the gloss, I'd say the Ultra card would be the best. The '07 insert is definitely the most easily replaced, though. And I also think getting something signed with a facsimile autograph isn't the best looking.
nymetsfan said…
'07 Topps Distinguished Service. Good looking card, great place to sign. The signature will look great there.
AlbuqwirkE said…
Send your FAVORITE! You can always replace an unsigned card...