Skip to main content

Focusing on the cards

I get distracted easily. I'm not proud of that. If there's a conversation going on somewhere in the room and I'm not part of it, I find myself drifting away from what I'm doing to figure out what people are talking about. It's an annoying habit that I only recently realized I had, and I'm trying to break myself of it.

I was at my inattentive best at work tonight. Couldn't focus on a thing for about the first four hours. But I have an excuse. 2009 Topps Heritage is coming out soon! No, not that soon. But in 48 hours it will be here. Well, not here, but somewhere. Probably in North Carolina, where everything seems to be.

But that was just one distraction. There was also Manny. Haven't you heard? He's going to sign! With the Dodgers! If you believe someone named The Brick, anyway. And then there's the whole matter of people losing their followers. What's Blogger up to now?

But I'm going to keep my focus this time. Because reader Matt sent me some terrific Dodgers from the great state of Wisconsin. He said he had a "Dodger-centric Topps break" (why can't I have one of those?) and thought of me. Cool! So, I'll be forgetting about that other stuff and focusing on the cards.

Here they are:

I told you they were terrific, didn't I? This is one of those short-prints in the 2009 Topps set. This is No. 210, which usually features the photo of Geovany Soto, except for the rare fantastic exception when it features Roy Campanella in a wacky outfield pose. I love, love, love, smooch, kiss this card. And did you know Van Heusen shirts won't wrinkle ever?

Ah, geez, speaking of wrinkled laundry, here's Manny. I said I wasn't going to talk about this, but I guess I have to now. If you didn't click on the link, some dude on Fox radio in Los Angeles is saying the Dodgers will have Ramirez signed to a three-year deal (the last year incentive-laced) by the end of the week. I make it a habit of not believing anything I hear on the radio ("stairway to heaven?" C'mon, there's no freakin' stairway). But where did The Brick get this info? Does he always just ramble blatant lies on the air? Anyway, L.A. has issued its expected denial.

These are two very fine cards that I didn't have. My Ramirez-in-a-Dodger-uniform collection is growing nicely.

This is the guy the Dodgers will have to rely upon for a Manny-like performance in the event that Ramirez ticks off everyone in L.A. and decides to play in Japan for a year. I think Kemp has it in him. He's very close to getting to monster stage.

Finally, here's a black-border (No. 40/58) card of Torre, who has to sort out the Dodgers starting staff, the musical chairs in the infield, the unsettled bullpen and everything else. No wonder he's talking retirement.

As you can see, Matt sent some great cards. These were the only six I needed out of the 20-or-so he sent, but they are some awfully special ones. I'll be finding some Red Sox for Matt, which will be difficult. Because everyone wants Red Sox. But I'm up to the challenge.

I've just got find my focus.

Comments